Merriam Webster defines navy as the part of a country's military forces that fights at sea using ships, submarines, airplanes, and other vehicles. Click here to know more about Navy Ranks.
Navy is also known as maritime forces. Navy is a part of country’s defensive and offensive armed forces that is designated to fight at water combats. Navy can also do operations on amphibious warfare. Amphibious warfare means a water- based army vehicle can land or fire weapons on a designated landing beach. Navy’s artillery and fight vehicles include ships, submarines, amphibious ships, and seaborne aviation.
The U.S. Navy was formally established in 1775. The newly-established U.S. Navy started with six frigates. One of the tasks of the U.S. Navy during its early days was to keep U.S. merchant shipping safe as the United States expanded. Fast forward to 2016, the U.S. Navy is by far the world's largest naval force and has a current slogan, "America's Global Force for Good."
According to Enlisted, US Navy has ranking that differ according to education, training and experience. The categories are enlisted, warrant officers, commissioned officers, and admirals.
- Enlisted personnel are usually referred to as the foundation of the navy. They perform tasks which require hands on attention and are specially trained to handle different tasks within the navy. You can determine the rate of enlisted personnel by looking at their rating badge. Rating badges are differentiated by the number and type of stripes on each badge and the symbol that appears above the stripes. Enlisted personnel includes Apprentice
- Petty Officer
- Chief Petty officer
- Master Chief Petty Officer of the US Navy
- Warrant Officers are highly trained and specialized professional who provide technical expertise to commanders and departments within the navy. They supervise activities surrounding the use of armoured navy vehicles, help to deploy personnel and generally provide training, leadership and coaching for people employed within the navy. Ranks under this category begin from Chief Warrant Officer 2 (CWO2) up to Chief Warrant Officer 5 (CWO5).
- Commissioned officers hold a commission detailing the duties of their particular rank. They are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree before they can be promoted. Under this category are:
- Lieutenant, Junior grade
- Lieutenant commander
- Admirals are the highest ranking members in the US navy ranks and command various naval groups and fleets such as the carrier cruiser groups, expeditionary strike groups, amphibious groups and numbered fleets. They are also responsible for regional and joint commands and naval operations.This category includes:
- Rear Admiral Lower Half
- Rear Admiral Upper Half
- Vice Admiral
- Fleet Admiral (war time designation only)